Coders' Desk Reference for Procedures (ICD-10-PCS) - eBook — 2019
2019 Coders’ Desk Reference for ICD-10-PCS
The Coders’ Desk Reference for ICD-10-PCS Procedures addresses the challenge of
translating common procedural nomenclature used by providers to the corresponding
ICD-10-PCS coding terminology. Because provider documentation often does not reflect the
precise terminology found in ICD-10-PCS, correct procedure coding is dependent on the ability
of the coder to translate common procedural terminology to the appropriate procedural
terminology of ICD-10-PCS.
This resource is organized by common procedural nomenclature used in the hospital setting
and then linked to the related root operation table(s); the procedure is described in layman’s
terms, translated to ICD-10-PCS root operation terminology, and the corresponding root
operation table(s) is identified.
Key Features and Benefits
• Optum360 Edge — Lay description. Lay descriptions are provided for the most commonly
performed inpatient procedures. Corresponding ICD-10-PCS root operations are identified and
• Optum360 Edge — Clinical focus points. When more than one root operation may apply, key
procedural terms differentiating the root operations are highlighted in focus points to ensure that the
correct root operation is selected.
• Optum360 Edge — Illustrations at the code level. Illustrations of pertinent anatomy and surgical
procedures are included to enhance understanding.
• Ease of use. Developed to work hand-in-hand with your Optum360 ICD-10-PCS codebook.
• Enhance understanding of ICD-10-PCS. The lay descriptions were developed to enhance
understanding of the ICD-10-PCS terminology and definitions of root operations, body parts,
approaches, devices, and qualifiers.
• Designed for both novices and seasoned coders. The lay descriptions, illustrations, and other
supplemental resources contained in this resource are designed for coders of all skill levels.