ICD-10 Essentials: Determining the Diagnosis — 2019 (Softbound)
2019 ICD-10 Essentials: Determining the Diagnosis
ICD-10 Essentials: Determining the Diagnosis is a companion resource for ICD-10-CM that
provides in-depth explanations of everything from the basic format and structure of the
ICD-10-CM code set to appropriate application of the coding conventions and guidelines to
coding of complex conditions requiring multiple codes with specific sequencing requirements.
Using coding examples and case studies, correct code assignment is explained with an
emphasis on application of the coding and reporting guidelines. Illustrations, decision trees, and
other coding tools designed to enhance understanding of ICD-10-CM and improve coding
accuracy are key features in this reference.
Key Features and Benefits
• Optum360 Edge — Hundredsof coding examples/case studies. Examples and case studies
illustrating application of each ICD-10-CM convention and guideline are provided.
• Optum360 Edge — Coding rationale. Coding examples and case studies:
o Provide rationale for each ICD-10-CM code assigned
o Describe the disease, injury, or other condition being treated
o Define other relevant diagnostic and coding terms
o Compare and contrast similar conditions and identify the correct diagnosis code based on the
o Identify and explain all applicable coding and reporting guidelines as well as coding
instructions in the tabular
• Optum360 Edge — Designed for all levels of expertise. Coding examples and case studies tackle
coding concepts ranging from basic to advanced.
• Optum360 Edge — Illustrations. Both anatomical and disease/injury illustrations are provided to
further enhance understanding.
• Optum360 Edge — Comprehensive index. Quickly identify all relevant coding examples and case
studies contained in Determining the Diagnosis when researching correct coding of specific conditions
and correct application of coding guidelines.